Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre
Putting DBT* Into Your Practice: A Taster Session Dr Fiona Kennedy
*(Dialectical Behaviour Therapy)
A ‘Taster’ one day course outlining what DBT is and how to incorporate powerful DBT techniques into your practice.
- Especially useful for clients who are ambivalent towards change, DBT offers strategies to increase commitment to the therapeutic process, prevent drop outs, and maximise collaboration and effectiveness.
The day will cover:
- An outline of DBT- including theoretical principles, and the stages and structure of DBT.
- Engaging Clients in Treatment
- Building Acceptance, Alliance and Trust
- Focusing on Change with DBT
- Teaching clients skills
- Getting unstuck
Participants will experience illustrations of how to use mindfulness, validation and dialectical strategies. DBT also targets specific behaviours that need to change, helping therapists and clients to prioritise problems and focus their sessions.
Participants will have the chance to observe a role play of a typical DBT skills group.
Participants are encouraged to bring their own cases or even their own bad habits to use as material to demonstrate the DBT approach and will leave with a plan to apply skills in their own practice.
Dr Fiona Kennedy, Consultant Clinical Psychologist, has practised DBT since 2000, developing and researching DBT services and training others since 2004. She has received a BUPA award for clinical excellence in DBT and a DBT service developed and lead by her has been recommended as an example of good practice by the National Audit Office (‘Safer Patient Services’ 2005). A BABCP Fellow, she is an Accredited Trainer, Supervisor and Therapist as well as on the BPS Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS). For the last nine years, she has taken DBT to India to train mentors working with Indian ‘street’ children, as well as providing training and supervision in DBT in the UK.
To book a place, visit